Sunday, May 8, 2011

Looking for the new Mille Italy

No need to be "patriotic" to feel the absence of their country? First, how do we know what must be "home"? For me, the home may well be an imaginary pantheon, made with the faces of all the teachers who most influenced me: by Montanelli to Pasolini, from Good to Patience, etc. It could be home, yet, the galaxy of friends worried that Italy still have questions.

Or the many "liberated areas" scattered here and there, of people "satisfied" that experiments new forms of consumer research and "stand together". These are the "homelands" that here I chased and even here in London, where possible, re-created. What made me most sad in Naples and Milan were kids my age: apathetic, arrogant, conceited.

On average, ignorant and concentrates on a series of "small countries" - the girlfriend, the trip, the toy car, the apartment - quite respectable for charity, but in my opinion should come after the need to rebel, even if it were migrating elsewhere . Seeing them perpetually seemed that everything was calm, unchanging, quietly depressed.

Fortunately, there are also few minorities "persuaded" that I still do read newspapers, the mirage to find some spark of rebellion. I would never belong to the category of brain drain, who can not help but complain that you do not respect the motherland in a row, there is no career, and artists are defined (more or less tacitly) failed or freak: a little bit 'of Italiot cynicism would not hurt.

If not pushed almost always, however, "persuaded" to drop, and fall well within the ranks of mediocrity. This London is a dirty beast, sometimes bad, merciless. The children of this "zoo" where I live often come from difficult stories: when they have been working for eighteen years, some live in authentic slums.

I've never been on holiday in Tuscany. Yet they do not feel failures, or freak. Organize, read, study, work with focus and courage. I'm not brilliant or particularly adventurous, but somehow never manage to believe in what they do and therefore are able to do so. Not always good. But I'm realizing that here, in the long winter, bad food - not always - and the rain, you breathe more social and ethnic tensions, is experienced, there is a desire to take risks, and a system to deal with.

It is to fight, in fact. I remember at one point, in Italy, as the driving force had been exhausted, and I warned the risk of withdrawing too small "homelands" bourgeois. Like my grandparents and great grandparents before me, I had the opportunity to emigrate: to defy the cynics say that this is the easiest solution.

But two decades, more than finding my dignity of Italian, I was interested to find my dignity as a citizen. A year has passed since then. There is no denying that, at times, the distance makes me feel even more helpless against what I left. I wonder, in those moments, what can be done. Do not believe that he has not wanted to review this generation of nomads back.

Take up the situation. As the new Mille. With experience, fundamental, two worlds lived on their skin. It would be nice. But it is highly unlikely because, despite the nostalgia that I feel, if not all back together without a joint effort, the few troublemakers, those few thousand, would be completely caught up in an environment impossible.

Even more hostile. And then end up hating even the "homelands" that does not deserve to be hated. Paul Mossetti, writer, born in Naples in 1983, one of the founders of the activist groups and The Call Through Europe. Collaborate with The Stranger, the Indian nation, Alfabeta2. He lives in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment