The famine has spread to three other areas of southern Somalia, where two regions already suffered such a situation, reported the Financial Analysis Unit of Nutrition and Food Security in Somalia (FSNAU), linked to the Organization of the United Nations. "New data indicate that the prevalence of acute malnutrition and mortality rates have exceeded the threshold of hunger in the Balkan and Cadal areas in Middle Shabelle, in the IDP camp Afgoye and between the community of displaced people in Mogadishu."
- Somalia:3.7 million in need of aid in Somalia - UN (04/08/2011)
- Somalia:11 mln people in and around Somalia are at risk of starvation (03/08/2011)
- UN, aid groups push for more Somalia famine money (02/08/2011)
- United Nations: Refugee totals from Somalia reach devastating new highs (03/08/2011)
- UN, aid groups push for more Somalia famine relief (02/08/2011)