Monday, April 18, 2011

London Diaries: The many faces of a city

After years of work in Italy as a freelance TV director and filmmaker, I felt the need to confront a different reality, in our country. Perhaps because Bologna, my city, but also Rome and Milan, which I know from having worked and lived, I have always seemed a bit 'too little, and if I pass the word "provincial".

Especially if you compare to other major European capitals. Instead, arriving in London I felt all the difference. It was for me as projected in a dynamic, constantly changing, capable of fascinating and frightening at the same time. Of this city, where the whole world can feel at home while maintaining their culture, I like to take advantage of the many vibrations that can give.

What I find most beautiful is the cosmopolitanism "respectful" of London. The capital accounts for customs, tastes and traditions from around the world, but manages to integrate them without consuming them or destroy them. Plurality of cultures and grandeur of the place but can also communicate a sense of loss.

That is the work of film makers in my "new" city, I started by people, which sought to portray the connection with the place, the street, the neighborhood. Thus, the space-dispersive London wins surprisingly local roots. The kaleidoscope of London returns to the simple life of the neighborhood, the directness of the experience of a single person.

The way we speak - the tone of voice, language accent - are intended solely as a personality. The handwriting, which unfortunately we are out, out is even more: there is a spelling alike. Even this suggestion I have borrowed the idea of "Diary", a mode of expression that best represents the private experience of narrative, connecting places and people through emotional filters.

I do the film, so I express myself with the video more than words. I want to leave at the first meetings of the route that I called London Diaries, and to invite those who will follow. Here portray Yoko, a busker, a street that is an artist, Japanese, inquiring and delicate, she also happened in this in this strange, varied metropolis that never ceases to amaze.

Anna White, Italian director in London

No comments:

Post a Comment