Friday, March 11, 2011

"The earth trembled as the sea" The story of an Italian in Tokyo

TURIN - Fear, chaos, but also a certain feeling of security, while outside the scope of the apocalyptic disaster. And 'what emerges from the first evidence of some Italians who live and work in Japan. The earthquake surprised them in your home or office where everything was shaking for a time that seemed endless.

Pure terror, but, fortunately, the earthquake-resistant structures of buildings in Tokyo held. The dead and missing, in fact, are almost all in the northern part of the country. Percivati \u200b\u200bJoseph, born in 1985 in Turin arrived in Tokyo for three months, living in Nerima, 15 km north-west of Shinjuku station in front of the station.

He works as a model, are drawing the launch campaign for the Fiat 500 Twin but dreams of a future as a pavement artist ...: "The earthquake was violent. The first shock came suddenly and was the longest - almost 2 minutes - and definitely the strongest. The people in my building that has 17 floors has begun to take to the streets but no scenes of panic or anything.

There is fear: a shock of this power so long and intense and did not remember to memory. In the street, some stores have not even closed, wide open, however, almost all supermarkets. The earthquake brought down bottles and another to the ground and had to clean of course. Little by little we went home.

Then I aftershocks followed, only two particularly strong, and other more subtle yet. Now Tokyo is back to normal. The only real problem is the subway stopped at several lines, including almost all offices have employees then sent home by the 16 million people are trying to be one of many difficulties.

There are long queues for taxis and a bus full of people. Many have decided to sleep outside. The phone lines are jammed because everyone is trying to warn family and friends, send messages to reassure ... More than anything else broken pots, some glass, everything is about 6 fires in an area about the size of Piedmont with 30 million people would say that the situation can say Normal.

It remains a bit 'of fear. The situation is dramatic however Sendaiper affected by the tsunami, but in Tokyo to talk about "panic" or dramatic situation is a lie. The only panic can be the "gaijin", that we foreigners. Of course, this time the Japanese have had a little 'fear of ... But Japanese are always .....

I saw people crying. My neighbors, with calm, came away with a bag in his hand and went to the park or in front of the house to wait. I know my friends who were in 9th or 25th floor, there was hard to stand up. Now I'm home I design and respond to messages from friends concerned. "Anna Maria Mazzone, has lived in Tokyo for nearly 20 years, writes, translates, he worked as a consultant for Italian companies in Japan.

When there was the first shock was in office at the Institute of Foreign Trade "When it happened I was in the ICE office, on the 16th floor. At first we heard of the oscillations that have been made stronger and stronger, so we decided to take shelter under the desks. The Japanese colleagues were very quiet, although they said it was the strongest earthquake I've ever heard.

Many objects have fallen off the shelves and the copier is bumped into the door. Some shelves were cracked. No one was hurt. Since the only announcement from the building was not to use the elevator, after a while 'we decided to walk down. Even the stairs there were scenes of panic . We gathered in a small park near the Ice.

The phones did not work and even phones. E-mails with their cell phone instead, yes. In Tokyo, there were scenes of panic, but they felt the ads were tsunami hazard mandates from the speakers. All the railroads, subways, buses are blocked. For 40 minutes, on the Ginza line has resumed operation.

The Shinkansen and the airports are locked. Even highways. At the stations of Shinjuku and Shibuya there are thousands of people who hope to take the train. However, some universities, schools and temples have a willingness to accommodate those who can not return home. Are continuing aftershocks (in Tokyo do not feel much) but announced on TV.

They said that there are no radioactive leaks from power but who knows if it's true. They said that a month from now there may be another earthquake of the same intensity. Let's hope not. "Tarchi Guido, Fiesole, 43, studied at Sophia University in Tokyo and works for Permasteelisa Japan as deputy general manager:" I kept in mind all the information of seventeen years in Japan on how to search to address "big one".

I trust my knowledge of development to believe that the building where I would stand well to an earthquake of major proportions and I waited in front of the fire escape that ended the first shock. But it did not end ... I'm back in the office or squatting there were many who tried to hold the folders.

I checked it against the ceiling were not in danger. The fixed phone worked, so I felt immediately at home in Italy. Then I talked to our office in Singapore we were all well and that there was no damage to persons and property. Meanwhile came the second shock. I was sitting. All you have left the office on the fourth floor.

I decided to quit too. I was the last in conjunction with one of my Japanese co-worker. We all went into the garden of the nearby elementary school. I have recommended to all those who knew the way home to walk as soon as possible before the streets are crowded. Because I would have done so.

And so I did. I headed home on foot. It took me three hours. Now I'm here. It seemed all over. But fifteen minutes ago she left the light. We are in complete darkness ... hopefully good. It seems that is dependent on the shutdown of some nuclear power units for controlling the case. Mah ..

hopefully good. However tonight even if we are to Nioi (dark) with me knows that we do not sleep. Now stop all communication because I have to save the batteries also ... Patrick de Volpi, Canadian journalist and photographer, 52 years. He worked for the NHK in Tokyo for 18 years, headquartered in Shibuya.

It was and is still in the studio to work on give notice to the world. "The quake was really huge and very scary. I went in head constantly thinking about the afterlife. Most of my colleagues has been placed under the desks except in those cases we held so close I and other computers. Tokyo is in chaos ....

long queues in front of small supermarkets such as 7-11, some buildings are on the ground, millions of people who can not take trains and subways. The major damage occurred to the north and the terrible tsunami, ten feet of water. I'm shooting video of the office windows, just go out and if things have calmed down I get home with my bike and I'll see if I still have a house.

If there is still room and I'll take my street. If there was no longer my friend palace go somewhere and sleep there. Although I can not even imagine another shock during the night, I will have nightmares for sure. Mauro Politi, postdoctoral researcher at the International Christian University in Mitaka, a suburb of Tokyo: "During the violent earthquake that shook Japan this morning at 7 am (Italian time) on the ground vibrated so much that it seemed to be on a ship at sea.

" Here in Tokyo, the quake was frightening both in intensity and duration - explains the researcher - who lived a year in Japan - but the feeling was different from usual. Living here for a long time one gets used to shock and often important, but if you normally vibrates all around, now seemed to be on a ship at sea.

I believe that the main quake lasted more than a minute, around 14:45 local time, and shocks are continuing uninterrupted and sharp minor. People are organized I have seen many out of their houses with helmet and carrying case. The TV continues to see a few video of damage, given the size of the event, I would say children: collapsed rubble, products that fell from shelves in supermarkets and a refinery in flames.

But the most impressive images are those of the tsunami arrived in a province north of Tokyo. A few minutes from the main shock, however, each TV channel showed a clear warning for coastal areas concerned. Currently, the most obvious result of the earthquake here in Tokyo is an almost complete paralysis of the railway lines and subways, which means total inability to move for most of the population.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment