Friday, March 25, 2011

BHL: "I have no legitimacy other than my own conscience"

There is a warrant. Clearly. Simply follow. And it totally excludes a scenario in Afghanistan. I remind you that the commitment of ground troops, for example, is completely excluded. And rightly so. The Libyans are very clear about it: the liberation of Libya must be the work of the Libyans themselves.

Whatever the wish of one or the other. I repeat that there is a clear UN mandate. The more a moral mandate formulated by the Arab League, before UN vote. In any case, a ground intervention. That was the solution, three weeks ago. As it was late, we must go beyond the "no fly zone". That is to say go to the targeted strikes against heavy weapons from Gaddafi.

It's unfortunate. It's horrible, the idea of a directed attack. But if you really want to protect civilians in Misrata, Sirte and Benghazi, there is no other solution. You are right. But it is this exclusion, the spirit of the resolution. I would add that the Arab countries that supported the resolution or who participate in the coalition oppose instantly to a ground intervention.

It is true there is a problem. This is the strategy of Gaddafi for two days. Which is to retreat into the cities and take them hostage. Gaddafi is a professional hostage taker. He spent his life taking hostages. He is still with the people in his own country. It seems that the forces are caught in the crossfire Gaddafi.

On the one hand, coalition aircraft that prevent resupply troops Gaddafi to enter the cities. The other, civilians who, within cities, the waiting time to rise. And then, according to information that happened to me this morning, defections from growing within the framework of mercenaries Gaddafi.

You do not know, nor me either, whether they are on the frontline. The only thing certain is that it takes more than five days at an army to organize, arm themselves, learn to use his arms, bending to a new discipline, etc.. No. That is the debate of recent days and it has been decided.

The command is not NATO staff. And the mandate is, in fact, not "Western". Remember that the Arab League has been moved to the first massacre of civilians committed in Benghazi and elsewhere. Remember that its representatives were last Saturday at the Paris summit. Be careful not to confuse, intellectual laziness, the situation today with that, quite distinct and perfectly hateful, war in Iraq.

In my opinion, the opposite. It is less important than what they say. Why do you they are, these tribes, more willing than others to live under tyranny? One thing is certain in any case: among the thirty-one members of the National Transition Council, several come from the famous tribes whose prejudice is a bit fast allegiance to Gaddafi.

One member in particular, whose name is, you can imagine why, kept secret, belongs to the same tribe that Gaddafi was born. No. Maybe because I have not had the opportunity to study it closely enough. But also because the representatives of the CNT themselves say and repeat that this "tribal component" having as little as possible in their own analysis.

They will not consider another capital Tripoli in Libya tomorrow. They do not want partition. And I said earlier, they seem to have ensured that all tribes, all regions of the country are represented in their provisional government. One important thing already: they are secular Muslims.

Libya they project will be Libya, where religion is a matter of conscience. The government will replace the current dictatorship is freely elected. And probably transparent. Two envoys of the CNT were last night still in Paris. They reiterated this in the clearest manner. Democracy is not perfect, we know that.

But this "road to democracy", he deserved at least to be encouraged and supported. Discretion? You know a war discreet? I think, anyway, that's the kind of subject that requires transparency. So the media. As a citizen I am pleased, however, that things do not make opacity, secrecy, double standards.

This too is democracy. Methinks, yes. What would you want anyone else? I have taken, of course, instead of one. And I think that Alain Juppe is also, at this moment, very good job. My role, I repeat, was extremely simple. Bring to Paris the members of the National Transition Council. Jibril Mahmoud welcome in Paris, the day the G8 summit, so he can plead his case with Hillary Clinton.

Invite Ali Zeidan, Paris always, before yesterday, to outline his plan for society to reporters. There. I repeat that it is, to my knowledge, very good job of foreign minister. This has not always been the case. Remember to Bosnia. But here, nothing to say. I have no legitimacy other than my own conscience.

I am a citizen of the world. The idea that the fate of an Arab people should not be the case that Arabs is an idea that horrifies me. I spent my life saying that. I always say. No role. But he had to have one evening in Benghazi, the crazy idea of dropping my phone to call the president of my country and suggest to him to receive a delegation from Libya shortly.

"The" insurgents, I do not know. I followed a relationship of - for three weeks, you might say, it is not long! - With Mahmoud Jibril, member of the National Transitional Council, and since this morning, Prime Minister of Libya is free. I also try every day since my return, whenever I can, usually at night, talking on the phone with some of the men and women I've met at Tobruk, Derna, and Beyda, Naturally, Benghazi.

Of course not. I am like you. I observe with anxiety the course of things. And I pray that infernal columns of Qaddafi are arrested, dismantled, as quickly as possible. The nightmare must end. To dig into my subconscious ... Do you really think this is the time? Frankly I do not like the taste.

The time will come. Surely. Wait. I do not think he's so forgotten that. In my case, for example, I feel absolutely peaceful. On behalf of the idea that I am the peace that I need to stop the war launched by Gaddafi against his own people. Good question. It must be asked when he appears before the international criminal court which will have to decide on his crimes.

I especially hope to convince you, you who are online at that moment, that all wars are terrible but sometimes they are unavoidable. I never get tired of saying since I returned from Libya where a mad dictator threatens to kill his own people when he declared war on the people, there is no other choice but to stop him .

Of course it's late. But better late than never. Because the Libyans themselves, the Arab League, African Union, made the urgent request. We can not be everywhere. And it would also not desirable. Let others go to Yemen, Algeria, Syria. For my part, I would really, really, that the appeal of Benghazi eventually be heard.

As for Gaza, do not mix at all. The Israeli operation two years ago followed the shelling of Israeli territory by Hamas militias. Which pose a range of iron on the civilian population of Gaza. Because they were probably too afraid that the idea may come one day to the international community to go put his nose in their own affairs allegedly "domestic".

Think Tibet. Remember Chechnya. Very important issue. I think she is much better than trying to tell us and those who would justify their own reluctance. The Tunisian example, who live with this dangerous madman Gaddafi at their doors, have a hope: he emerges as Ben Ali. The Egyptians, I mean the Egyptian youth, all who have served and who still occupy the Tahrir Square Cairo, vibrate with their Libyan brothers who escaped the massacre said.

They therefore welcome a transaction that will help them finally to liberate themselves. Do not confuse the political calculation of any chieftain of the old regime, the ulterior motives of any member who has yet to really put the time in the spring of Egypt, with a deep sense of those who in the region aspire to citizenship and democracy.

Clear. They spoke before the historic meeting of the Security Council. Mr. Moussa, who had held on Sunday, remarks which could be confusing, has rectified on Monday morning. Now that the Arab League to be particularly vigilant about compliance with a UN mandate and spirit, what could be more normal? I fear above all a crushed democracy uprising.

I fear above all that revolutionary forces-cons will end up winning. If, of course. Since he himself announced that in response to strikes against his tanks, he heard hitting civilian aircraft. But hey. More reason to put it out of state to continue its dirty work of terrorists. Free elections.

Learning democracy in a society broken by forty-two years of dictatorship. The air of freedom. No. The operation, do not forget, only lasts for five days. Attention to this frivolously, zappeuse, we all want things to go faster, get tired, dream of instantaneous events. Five days is a lot, of course, the protagonists of this tragedy.

But at the same time so little to help an insurgent people to finish with forty-two years of dictatorship and violence. You can imagine my response. This temptation sovereignty, the idea that the freedom of peoples to self-determination means the freedom to dispose of the dictators of their peoples, the concept of responsibility to others who would stop at the limits of our national backyard, this how to wash their hands the fate of the world because we are not our distant future, all this disgusts me.

Chat moderated by Olivier Biffaud

No comments:

Post a Comment