Friday, December 31, 2010

Europe in Crisis: The burqa my daughter

 "They already exercise to tighten the burqa," said my husband and our six-month shows smiling little girl, who instinctively pulls her doily to the eyes. We like to joke with our children about the future of Europe. We imagine how it might look like on the continent when the Internet will have become a symbol of a bygone era like today telegram or fax.

We can laugh at it wrong, as if we saw ourselves in a science-fiction ham from the era of silent film. And it is not true that is required of any responsible Europeans to prepare for the future? Is currently a lively debate about Muslims and Europe. Even in my Czech homeland, where they are found rarely.


"No matter", some right-wing rant brawlers. "They should all go to hell." In my country, it does lack Muslims are happy to also Roma or Vietnamese - and in many respects women. Even in the most respectable magazines with beautiful pictures of home and garden, we read that Europe's future belongs to women.

This claim has nothing extravagant, and those who balk at the idea, either belong to the notorious woman-haters or those who want the Europeans have a future under the burqa in the idea that the latter will not be wearing their say. Europe is dying out - and who's to blame? The Europeans had on the way out, it is, slowly but surely.

And many believed, the fault lies precisely in those emancipated women, who constitute at the same time Europe's future. The better trained they are, the more they earn, the fewer children they have, the sluts! Some feminists believe that the men had themselves to blame. But they had invented a pill to ease, to say, without risk of pregnancy make around can.

But a return to the condom would turn the tide? Hardly. When I look at my little one under her doilies, from the peeping only the eyes and bald head, then I imagine what will become of us two European women in 30 or 40 years. I will then belong to the army of the pesky pensioners. We bitter old man to go en masse to the streets and find fault, how much better it was before, just like all backward-looking old woman who yearn to their youth.

A little senile and disillusioned I protest as my contemporaries against the fourth-generation E-books, those which one will fold like a bill and can put in your pocket and to the twelfth generation of cell phones, although I mean never off - for the event that call my grandchildren. My daughter rushes during which 500 kilometers per hour over virtual highways.

With the windows open their burqa elegant fluttering in the wind. And the women on the highway all look the same. The citizens of the year 2040 once again (how many times they have to do it already!) Fight for their rights. That is, if we hold out until then. I imagine a Europe against the regions, not thinking of the common currency or a European idea, I think a lot more to cities, buildings and people.

As a disaster movie. I imagine an ecological meltdown, the collapse of the Internet, the spread of a new epidemic. Compared with such a potential disaster to me the possible extinction of the European or a Muslim majority on the continent seems positively harmless. And if women have to return to the kitchen, that would be not so bad again.

Frankly, it takes very little to ward off these gloomy visions of the future: more children and less waste. I look at my little one, which is next to me and I realize that I am, that is to say in a few years "do this and that and they will then look at me sternly. "You write with before, what do I do?" It's always the same.

Exhortations nerves. We Czechs are in a sense after 40 years of communism, particularly allergic. But now developing future scenarios? Do not! Only perhaps in an Internet forum or during a panel discussion where you chat without obligation straight on. By the way: Has not history taught us that things always go differently than predicted? Well, that's even a conciliatory conclusion.

But who really believe this? No rights are Stickan

No comments:

Post a Comment