Friday, July 15, 2011

Afghanistan: More than 1400 civilians killed in the last six months

The conflict in Afghanistan has killed over 1,400 civilians during the first six months of 2011, announced Thursday, July 14 the UN Mission in Afghanistan. A figure rose by nearly 15% over the first half of 2010, though it was the deadliest year of the conflict on civilians. The UN says 80% of civilian deaths between January and June 2011 are due to insurgents and 14%, nearly 200 people, with pro-government forces, Afghan or international.

Responsibility for remaining 6% could be attributed. The month of May 2011, during which 368 civilians were killed, was the deadliest month of the conflict, had already warned the UN mid-June. "UNAM has identified 1,462 civilian deaths during the first six months of 2011, up 15% over the same period of 2010," it said in a statement Unama alarming.

The Mission also notes that "explosive devices and suicide bombings, tactics used by anti-government elements have caused almost half (49%) of all civilian deaths and injuries." This observation further clouding the future of the country, while the international coalition announced a phased withdrawal of its troops in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment