Friday, February 4, 2011

Mubarak: "If I leave now in Egypt will be chaos"

CAIRO - I just left the presidential palace in Cairo, where I met President Hosni Mubarak for an exclusive interview of half an hour. He told me to be upset by the violence that we saw in Tahrir Square in recent days, but that his government is not responsible. Instead, he blamed the Muslim Brotherhood, a party that was outlawed here in Egypt.

He said he is tired of being president and that he would like to leave the office hours. But he can not do it - says - because he is afraid that the country would collapse into chaos. I asked President Mubarak to speak of the violence unleashed by his supporters in Tahrir Square against government opponents.

"I am very sorry - I said - of what happened yesterday (Wednesday, ndt). I do not want to see that the Egyptians are fighting each other." When I asked to see what you think about the people yelling insults at his address and wants to see him go, he replied: "I do not care what people say about me.

Right now I care for my country, m 'care in Egypt. " I asked him how he felt after he delivered his speech Monday night, in which he said that he would not run again for president. He said he felt relieved. Mubarak remains for the moment with his family to the presidential palace, protected by soldiers, tanks and barbed wire.

He has met his son, Gamal, who was once considered by many to be his successor. Mubarak told me it was never his intention to installing him in his place. And he has sworn allegiance to Egypt. "Never flee," he reiterated, "I'll die on this earth." He also defended his historical legacy, recalling the many years spent at the helm of the country.

While the president described Obama as a very good person, he hesitated when I asked him if he thought the United States as they have betrayed. And when I asked him how he meant to respond to U.S. calls to step aside as soon as possible, he revealed that he told Obama: "You do not understand Egyptian culture, or what would happen if I resign now." Then I said: "I never meant to come back.

And I never thought that Gamal became president after me." As I said, Gamal was sitting in the room with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment