Saturday, February 19, 2011

Libya: "My son, in jail for their commitment to the Berber culture"

Fathi Salem Bouzakhar teaches electronic engineering at the University of Sirte, Libya on the Mediterranean coast. 14 and Dec. 16, his two elder son, 29 year old twins, and Madghis Mazigh, were arrested by the authorities. Their crime? Have been interested a little too close to the culture Amazigh (Berber), repressed in Libya.

Their father testifies. "In December my son Madghis received a summons from security agents outside [a Libyan intelligence agencies]. The motive was unclear. Once there, he was detained. Two days later, it was the turn of his twin brother, Mazigh, to be arrested. officers came to our home and seized CDs, hard disks, books ...

all library materials and computer family. " the allegations against them is their interest in Amazigh culture. Our family is from Yefran in full Berber region. With my wife, we have always strived to pass on our culture to our five children. My son, in addition to speaking Tamazight [Berber language] learning about Berber culture, self-interest.

They consulted articles on the Internet, they were in contact with universities abroad, including France and the United States. They are also members of the World Amazigh Congress. "But the police, the Amazigh culture is a threat to national security: Tamazight is banned in Libya and it is impossible to find a book written in that language or relates to this culture.

Authorities Libyan Berbers believe that fomenting a conspiracy against the regime, orchestrated from outside. My son and are suspected of spying and collaborating with Israel and Zionists. "To justify their claims of international conspiracy, the authorities argue that my son were in contact with universities abroad.

"On 16 January I received a letter from the Gaddafi Foundation, addressed to the President of the Security Agency, and placing a copy to the prosecutor, saying that my son had right to a court-appointed lawyer and had the right to see them. I could go to their new tour on January 24. Madghis told me he was tortured in solitary confinement.

He was beaten with sticks, insulted, it was a gun pointed at him: "You're an Amazigh, a Jew, he was told. We will kill you." He was subjected falaqa [flogging]. My other son, he was constantly insulted and humiliated. I was very worried about them. "As the court-appointed lawyer, he has not actually been allowed to see my son, or access to the file.

He therefore announced that he could not defend this case and issued a statement on the Internet explaining why he was withdrawing from the file: this file has had some impact. "On 27 January, my son was transferred to the prison Jdaida. Their conditions of detention have improved significantly: they are now grouped in the same cell, where they coexist with inmates convicted for drug trafficking, all serving a sentence of life imprisonment.

I reassure myself by saying that at least my son are together, and you had better be surrounded by an isolated. Every Thursday, I can visit them. I saw elsewhere yesterday morning. "I continue to fight. I gathered people Yefran to write, there is a little over two weeks, a letter demanding the release of my son and explaining that our Amazigh culture must be respected.

We collected signatures eighty-five of us went to take the letter to the prosecutor's office. "I again wrote to Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and President of the Agency for external security. They promise a solution, but we're still waiting. However, I hope, after what happened in Tunisia and Egypt, the Libyan regime is looking more on respect for civil rights.

I especially hope that future Arab and Amazigh cultures can interact peacefully together. " Interview by Mathilde GĂ©rard

No comments:

Post a Comment